Let’s begin a new year by finding out what we know about feminist history and goddess scholarship. Take this little quiz and find out where you stand as a Feminism/Goddess Scholar. (It’s okay to laugh at some of the choices. Laughing shows you’re paying attention.)
1. Who wrote When God Was a Woman?
a. Ernest Hemingway b. Merlin Stone
c. Sharyn McCrumb d. Isabel Allende
2. In 1943, S.J. Perelman, Kurt Weill, and Ogden Nash created a popular Broadway musical titled One Touch of…
a. Juno b. Isis
c. Venus d. Durga
3. Which of these books was not written by Carol Christ?
a. Odyssey with the Goddess b. She Who Changes
c. Laughter of Aphrodite d. The Alphabet Versus the Goddess
4. The Feminine Mystique (1963) sparked the second feminist wave. Who wrote this book?
a. Betty Friedan b. Gloria Steinem
c. Terry Pratchett d. Francine Prose
5. In which of these novels do we meet modern women who worship the Goddess?
a. Bel Canto b. Secret Lives
c. Little Women d. Wyrd Sisters
6. Who won election to Congress in 1972 using the campaign slogan “a woman’s place is in the House”?
a. Shirley Chisholm b. Liz Cheney
c. Bella Abzug d. Jeannette Rankin
7. Who is the author of The Spiral Dance?
a. Starhawk b. Max Dashu
c. Patricia Monaghan d. Fred Astaire
8. Who is the urban shaman who creates and leads public rituals in New York City?
a. Donna Henes b. Luisah Teish
c. Miss Piggy d. Angelina Jolie
9. Dianic Wicca, created in 1971 during the second women’s movement, is a spiritual path for “womyn-born womyn.” Who is our founder?
a. Caitlyn Jenner b. Z. Budapest
c. Elphaba and Glinda d. Doreen Valiente
10. Which of the following adjectives is the most fitting replacement for “seminal” (which contains semen!)?
a. Avuncular b. Oracular
c. Ovular d. Titular
11. Which of the following is the primary symbol of, it is often said, the True Goddess of the United States?
a. The Statue of Liberty b. The Emmy statuette
c. The St. Louis Arch d. The Women’s Building in Los Angeles
12. On which mountain did (do) Hera and her sisters and daughters dwell?
a. Mount Rushmore b. Mont Blanc
c. Mount Olympus d. Mount Meru
13. Who is the greatest of all modern Goddess scholars?
a. Germaine Greer b. Marija Gimbutas
c. Emma Goldman d. Dion Fortune
Answers: 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 a. 5 b. 6 c. 7 a. 8 a. 9 b. 10 c. 11 a. 12 c. 13 b.
Barbara Ardinger, Ph.D. (barbaraardinger.com), is the author of Secret Lives, a novel about crones and other magical folks, Pagan Every Day, a unique daybook of daily meditations, and other books. She really enjoys writing her monthly blogs for FAR. Her work has also been published in devotionals to Isis, Athena, and Brigid. Barbara’s day job is freelance editing for people who have good ideas but don’t want to embarrass themselves in print. To date, she has edited more than 400 books, both fiction and nonfiction, on a wide range of topics. She lives in Long Beach, California, with her rescued calico cat, Schroedinger.